Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lindsay Fuller, The Holyfelds, The Starlings @ Conor Byrne

Last night Anne and I went down to Ballard to the old familiar Conor Byrne Pub.  I had a very pleasant surprise, and fell in love with the opening band – Lindsay Fuller.  I’ll blog a review of her new album very soon.

We were there to see the Starlings play.  Moe and Aimee (bass and drums, harmonica and vocals) are back from their bicycle tour and so it was a chance to see the starters in the game.  They sounded great, and it was a fun time.  The new CD will soon be out and you can check it out your own selves.  Highlights were Fallen Days (For the one on the run) and Apple Tree.  Anne and I had no choice but to shake a tail feather.

OK, so back to Lindsay Fuller.  The usual Conor Byrne racket made it hard to hear unless you were up front, and the usual no-one cares unless you are “famous” factor meant that a lot of people missed seeing two of Seattle’s finest musicians backing her up – Jeff Fielder on dobro and nylon string guitar, and Rebecca Young on electric bass.  Jeff also sang some well-blended background vocals.

There were obviously some people in the know, given the cluster-fuck of cameras and recorders.  Even with this indicator for the more astute beer drinkers, that strange semi-circular realm of death which no living person should enter still glared ominously at the crowd from just in front of the monitors.  I’ll admit Lindsay has been described as “intense” (thanks Mike), and perhaps that is why nobody wanted to get up there, or maybe like me they were trying to get in the cone of sound from the PA just to hear the music.  The music was great.

In the middle was The Holyfelds who brought some danceable energy and searing harmonies to the stage.  They also brought an autoharp, which I must admit gives me the heebie jeebies, however given the aforementioned hullabaloo I couldn’t really hear it, or the dobro for that matter.  Ahhh bad sound, why do you haunt me?




Help me out with a link for the Holyfelds will ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no spam, no trolls. Thank you!