Thursday, June 3, 2010

Softly Now @ the Rendezvous


Wednesday night, the Rendezvous Jewelbox Theatre, I’ll skip the  history this time as I covered it in an earlier post - reposted here.  Playing in order of appearance - BC Campbell, with yours truly on guitar, Sam Watts as “Ghosts I’ve Met”, and Alex Guy as “Led to Sea”.

This show was curated by Levi Fuller; as part of his “Softly Now” series, which you can go and see the first Wednesday of every month.  The show was early, which is great for a week-night event, we were on by 7:30 and the whole shebang was over by 10pm.  Perfect!  Get a little dinner, catch a show, still have time to chill before sleep and back to the grind on Thursday.  PS It was great to see Renata Almeida at the show – hooray!

Our set went well, BC is singing great, and the new songs are coming together nicely.  The sound was great- clear and loud without being too loud – sound guys love an “acoustic” night because its easier to make things sound good when the stage volume is lower – especially in smaller rooms.  We really hit it on “I Believe” and “Tell Me” –  there are recordings of both from the basement on BC’s myspace page linked below.

I had never heard Ghosts I’ve Met before, and I was pleasantly surprised – Sam has a quiet approachable voice and big sounding chords, with some really great lines in the lyrics.  It was nice to get a chance to listen to his Taylor after BC’s Martin – live comparison!  Still no clear decision, the Martin has more good mids, the Taylor is brighter by far, always will be a taste thing I think.  If I was moneybags guy I guess I’d have a Martin for plectrum stuff and the Taylor for fingerpicking.  Favorite song, “Payphone Patience.”

Led to Sea (a Stranger genius nominee for those in Seattle) is viola player and singer Alex Guy, with an assortment of effects pedals and loopers.  She sings in the post Tori Amos school, and I clearly hear the connection to Mirah, and Laura Veirs.  Her solo show is impressive, she will win some fans on tour this summer.  The music is arranged beautifully, and she plays “out” enough to keep the listener on alert.  Fans of Andrew Bird, 2 Foot Yard or maybe even Maya Beiser will find a new record to love with “Into The Darkening Sky”.  Locals in the scene – Paul Kikuchi on percussion is a stunning player, and Lori Goldston (the Kevin Bacon of Seattle musicians I swear she knows everyone) played some cello, and Jherek Bishoff on bass is a player too. 

Here’s your links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no spam, no trolls. Thank you!