Thursday, June 3, 2010

Repost - Rendezvous with Shasta Bree


Playing with Shasta at the Rendezvous.

http://www.rendezvousseattle.com/index.html

Ok – so for those of you that do not live in the (sunny today!) berg that is Seattle, the Rendezvous is one of those bars that has mythical status.  Everyone knows about it, has an opinion, and quite likely has gotten way too drunk there once.  It was one of the first places I ended up in back in the 90’s (that’s more than a decade ago people) and I remember it as a dark scary place with a real tough bouncer, cracked out people getting in physical altercations in the front room, incredibly strong drinks, and people who didn’t work for the Rendezvous but did work at the Rendezvous selling things that I wasn’t sure I didn’t want.  Tony who played this gig with us (more on him later) reminded me that you used to be able to cash your welfare check at the bar. 

Years later, new ownership, and about half the things I remember are changed.  Its not as dark, no crackheads, no deals that I saw going on.  The drinks are still strong, but since you can’t smoke inside, its not as hard to catch your breath after the first swig.  This gig I was giving my liver a rest, so I vicariously enjoyed the occasional gasp for air, and the way everyone’s eyes kind of slid off me like it was too hard to concentrate.

Every gig at the Rendezvous has to be weird.  I knew from experience not to get there too soon – the first time I played there I ended up standing outside in the cold rain, because the burlesque dancers wanted to finish packing up the feathers and rearranging the goodies into street wear without putting up with the gawking of some skinny guitar player.  This night it was the Job Stress Comedy Show, which I hope was funny, but I am just going to imagine that it involved employees of the Rendezvous slandering the owners of the Rendezvous whilst doing shots of Goldschläger.  Whatever it was, there were girls with feathers and glitter standing about as I pulled up to the no parking zone, hit the emergency blinkers and started loading.  Bouncer was still tough, but friendly.  Left Anne with the stuff and found rockstar parking.  As in I parked next to a chain link fence a block away, where various rock stars watched my car for me.

Inside – met Malachi – the sound guy named after the last minor prophet (I know this is debatable so you religion majors can take it to your own forum).  He does what he can with a strange room and not much gear.  Oh – did I mention it’s the Jewelbox Theater?  Nagahide booths man.  And some better than folding chairs.  The stage sounds strange, but it actually sounds decent in the house if you are willing to be quieter.  Which is hard to be willing to do when there is a DJ throwing down in the Grotto – ie same bar, private party room.  “I wanna rock right now, I’m rob bass and I came to get down” except really fast, and with a techno beat.  Thump thump thump, and now Acoustic Night at the Rendezvous!

1st up – 15 year old Cole Parrish, who impressed me with her togetherness and comfort on stage, and a tough girl handshake when she introduced herself.  Her songs and voice are already well on the way to being great, and I can see her doing really well.  You might as well go to her myspace now and listen to a cover of “Say My Named.”  Stay and hear some of her own stuff if you dig her voice, she’s got things to say.


2nd act – Sadie and the Crooked Road – a new band for me, always fun to meet some new folks doing the folks music.  They are on a multi date go round with Star, so you can catch them if you missed this one.


3rd up – Shasta and yours truly – we played a shortened set as the 5 band bill was not going to fit in the allotted time.  Tony and Star did the same at the end, to get us done by 1am (thanks Malachi for the extension)  Lucien and I got our thing going quick, I love playing with people that listen to each other, and he is really making the new GFI pedal steel sing sweetly now.  I love this instrument.  Resisting getting one.  For now.  Also we wore suit jackets.  Shasta and Val harmonized well despite wanting a lot more monitor J
and a blue dress was debuted.  With pockets!  Pics here

Music here


4th - Then Tony Fulgham showed us all up, just by being the guy who belongs on a stage, so easy up there.  Every now and then I hear Elvis Costello when he is singing (hope you don’t mind Tony) and everyone in the place wants to get a beer with him.  He also took the energy up, which almost defeated the DJ, who was ramping up too.


Finally the fans who waited so patiently, got themselves a tight half hour from the amazing Star Anna (just Star and Justin on acoustics this show) which was almost enough time for her voice to reach full power.  It was nice to hear people really digging the show, real fans.  Go see them on the 4/30/2010 at the Tractor in Ballard, and swing by Conor Byrne and catch me doing some Willie Nelson with the  Pennylifters beforehand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no spam, no trolls. Thank you!